International Student Information

The National Theatre Schools accept digital applications from international students. Please see the ‘How To Audition’ pages for more information.

For further information, including course information, costs & additional fees, student visas, overseas health cover, uniform requirements, transport & accommodation in Melbourne, as well as the application process, please download our comprehensive Student Prospectuses:

The 2023 Prospectuses will be available after May 2022
Information for International students applying for any course at The National Theatre Ballet and Drama Schools

The National Theatre Melbourne is an approved Registered Training Organisation (RTO 3600)  and approved by CRICOS (Provider number 01551E) to deliver training to international students. Your fees are covered by the Tuition Protection Service. Please read the full prospectus to ensure you fully understand your rights as an international student.

The school year runs from February to December. There is currently no mid-year intake. Students unable to attend at the start of the year may need to wait until the following year. 

Applications open around May in the year preceding course commencement. International applications close at the end of November in order for visa approval prior to the start of the course.

Only in exceptional circumstances may a Ballet application be considered after this date. Please contact office@nationaltheatre.org.au for more details. Drama applications cannot be considered if arrival will be later than two weeks into the start of the course.


When applying, you are advised to ensure you know how the visa application process will work. 

Please check your eligibility here 

The government lists step by step how to apply for your visa here

Getting organised is very important as delays may affect your ability to start the course on time.

You will need to check and organise if you need:

  • Evidence of English Ability 5.5 or higher  IELTS or via an equivalent approved test
  • A Health examination
  • OSHC
  • A valid passport
  • Evidence of enough money for your time in Australia – fees and living expenses
  • COVID vaccination meeting Australian requirements

The government website is the best place to get up to date information on all of these things.

We will issue you a CoE – Confirmation of Enrolment  – if successful at the audition stage and you confirm you are enrolling on the course. There is a non-refundable $200 enrolment fee for the processing of all documentation. The CoE is needed as your evidence of your place on the course for your visa application. 

Things to note:

Students under 18 years old must have welfare arrangements in place to ensure they have support while attending the National Theatre Schools. A nominated guardian in Australia will be required to satisfy the National Theatre Schools that the students welfare is safeguarded and the nominated person wiill be noted on their CoE.  

If you need to sit for an English test, please arrange this quickly as the results will be needed for your visa application. Ideally, this has been completed before your audition date.

You will need to get OSHC – Overseas Studnet Health Cover – that starts when you arrive in Australia and covers you for the entire time your visa lasts. This cost is currently approximately AU$500 per year. If you are applying for a 3 year visa, you will need to pay approximately AU$1,500. You will need to ensure your visa covers you for any period you expect to stay after your course ends as this will be the visa end date. You can stay for a maximum of 3 months after your course ends – this is to ensure there is time for any resits or if the course has to be extended. Complete this only once you have been offered a place on a course.

We will not issue a CoE unless you have been successful at the audition stage. You need to complete that process first. When offered a place, you will be sent the enrolment form. Once this is completed, we will issue your CoE.

The prospectus lists the fees and duration of all courses.

Fees are payable in termly instalments. Any student who has not paid their fees by the first day of each term may risk their enrolment status being suspended until they have paid in full.

Once on the course:

There are minimum attendance requirements that may result in your visa being cancelled if you are not attending classes – please check the Attendance Policy for more details.

Your visa is at risk if you are not progressing on the course. Please see the Academic Progress section of the prospectus. 

International Students are allowed to work a maximum of 40 hours in a 2 week period. The Australian government has temporarily relaxed this limit on hours. It is the student’s responsibility to ensure they know and comply with the latest regulations.

All policies for students (including International) are accessible via the student handbook or the website.

20 Carlisle St, St Kilda, Melbourne, Australia 3182

Administration Office            61 (3) 9534 0221