The National Theatre
THE NATIONAL THEATRE DRAMA SCHOOL: Australia’s original actor training institution
The National Theatre Drama School in Melbourne offers acting workshops and courses to children, teens and adults of all levels of performance experience.
Our full-time accredited course has launched the careers of some of Australia’s brightest acting talents, including Kat Stewart, Richard Cawthorne and Isabella Heathcote.
We also offer a range of non-accredited workshops and short courses, exploring stage and screen techniques and stoking the imagination in a playful and supportive environment.
Our teaching staff, led by Director of Drama Trent Baker, are highly-trained professionals with experience acting and teaching across the world’s leading theatrical institutions. As well as expertise in professional acting skills, they are uniquely qualified to guide and inspire young people, and help students of all ages develop further skills related to acting, including directing, producing, design and writing for stage and screen.
As the longest-established acting school in the country, the National Theatre Drama School has deep connections with the Australian arts and entertainment industry. Students at the Drama School will enjoy learning and performing in the heritage National Theatre, a cultural and community hub for almost a century.
Whether you’re a beginner, curious about acting for theatre, or a professional performer looking to hone your skills, we would love to hear from you! For all enquiries, contact the Drama School on (03) 9534 0223 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
We are grateful to our generous benefactors, the Angior Foundation, Cybec Foundation and Tallis Foundation, for their support of the National Theatre Drama School.
Youth courses (ages 3-17):
- Fun classes exploring stage acting techniques, character creation and scene building
- Training in screen acting techniques
Full-time accredited course (18+):
- Advanced Diploma in Acting (course code 10073NAT)
- Three years, full-time study
- Students may be able to obtain VET Student Loan and Austudy assistance
Non-accredited courses for adults:
- Introductory short courses offer a welcoming, safe environment for anyone wanting to give acting a go, with the option to move on to more structured, text-based courses later on
- Foundation in Acting is a part-time, 16-week course introducing students to the range of disciplines and skills needed for a professional acting career, before committing to higher-level study
|Voice and singing
Movement for actors