Total number of units = 13
6 core units plus
7 elective units
Course Code CUA40120
CRICOS Course Code: 105787J
The Certificate IV in Dance provides students with a solid foundation in dance technique, performance, and choreography. It is aimed at students who are interested in pursuing a career in dance, whether as a performer, choreographer, teacher, or arts administrator.
Students train in a range of different styles, including classical ballet, contemporary dance, character dance and jazz and tap, as well as in areas such as improvisation, partnering, and repertoire. Developing technical skills better equips students to handle the physical demands of a career in dance, as well as to communicate their ideas and emotions through movement.
In addition to technical training, the Cert IV in Dance exposes students to the dance industry more broadly. This may include guest lectures and workshops from industry professionals, as well as opportunities to attend performances and festivals. An understanding of the wider context in which dance exists, enables students to identify the types of career paths that might be available to them, and to start making informed decisions about their own professional development.
Finally, the Cert IV in Dance helps students to start developing a sense of direction about where they want to take their dance career. This may involve exploring different career paths, such as performing, choreography, teaching, or arts administration, and gaining experience in these areas through practical projects and work experience placements. By the end of the course, students should have a clearer idea of their strengths and interests, as well as the skills and knowledge they need to further their professional development in dance.
Selected students may also compete in Australian and International Competition, such as The Margot Fonteyn International Ballet Competition, Kathleen Gorham Memorial Award, Ballet Teachers Workshop, Alannah Haines Australasian Awards, City of Sydney Eisteddfod, just to name a few.
There are 3-4 performance opportunities per year with productions directed by Damian Smith and performed on The National Theatre’s heritage stage.
Certificate IV students have the chance to express and explore their own creativity in our Choreographic Workshop with their fellow dancers.
Certificate IV in Dance CUA40120
Total number of units = 13
CUACHR413 Develop choreography skills
CUADAN313 Develop and apply dance partnering techniques
CUADAN417 Develop expertise in dance performance techniques
CUAPRF414 Develop movement skills for performance
CUAPRF415 Rehearse for performances
CUAWHS411 Apply movement and behavioural principles to conditioning
CUADAN413 Develop expertise in jazz dance techniques
CUADAN418 Develop expertise in ballet techniques
CUADAN419 Develop expertise in contemporary dance techniques
CUADAN421 Develop expertise in cultural dance techniques
CUAPRF412 Develop conceptual and expressive skills as a performer
CUAPRF314 Develop audition techniques
CUAWHS311 Condition body for dance performance
12 months (approx 21.5 hrs over a 5-6 day week) OR 24 months (approx 14 hours per week)
|The National Ballet School (FT)||Census Dates|
|Term 1||Mon 30 Jan- Thu 6 Apr||12-Feb|
|Term 2||Mon 24 Apr to Sat 24 Jun||06-May|
|Term 3||Mon 10 Jul to Sat 15 Sep||23-Jul|
|Term 4||Mon 2 Oct to Sat 9 Dec||16-Oct|
- Students who enter the Certificate IV course will either be completing their final years of schooling or wish to fast track their training towards preparation to audition into the Diploma of Professional Dance (Elite Performance) course.
- The Certificate IV course is designed to give more advanced skills to younger students on their way to full-time training and a professional career. It offers high level training in all dance styles (Ballet, Character, Jazz, Contemporary). A Certificate IV qualification is equivalent to a year 12 level of qualification.
- Students must be 15 years or over by the 1st of January the year their studies commence and have completed Year 9 studies.
- Applicants may have to complete a Language, Literacy and Numeracy Test (LLN) to ensure they receive the right support to achieve this qualification. This course is open to international students. This course is taught in English and International students must meet a minimum level of 5.5 IELTS or equivalent.
- Students must meet all requirements and pass all units of competency in each
- subsequent year to obtain the qualification.
- Applicants must be at an Advanced Level from a Recognised Classical Ballet Syllabus.
Acceptance to the course is by audition only.
Auditions for 2024 intake open July 2023.
Step1 Register for your audition. (from July 2023)
Step 2 Prepare for and complete your audition.
Step 3 If you are offered a place following your audition, complete the student enrolment forms and pay the required fees. Schools’ administration will then contact you to manage your enrolment including providing you with the Student information Handbook.
Register your interest below and we’ll keep you up to date with course information, audition dates and applications processes.Register your Interest
AU/NZ student fees Tuition fees $11,681 (inc gst) per annum.
International Students Tuition fees $14,779 per annum
Register your interest in the Cert IV in Dance and we’ll keep you up to date with course information, audition dates and applications processes.Register YOUR INTEREST